where community matters

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where can I get a printable list of who to call about certain issues and concerns in the City?

    Click Here for City of Dunn Services Quick Contact List

  • How do I get my utilities hooked up?

    • Electric: Contact Progress Energy at 1-800-452-2777 to set up an account.
    • Water & Sewer: To set up an account contact the City of Dunn Public Utilities, located within the Finance Department at the Dunn Municipal Building at 401 E. Broad St., or call 230-3510.
    • Natural Gas: Contact Piedmont Natural Gas Corporation at 1-800-275-6264 to set up an account.
    • Cable Television: You may choose between two cable companies which serve the Dunn area.
      Time-Warner Cablevision can be reached at 892-2141 or
      Charter Communications at 1-888-438-2427.
    • Telephone: You should contact the Centurylink office at (877) 753-9536 or Spectrum at 1-866-991-6551
  • Where do I pay my utility bills?

    • Electric: You may pay by mail or in person at one of the following Progress Energy paystations:
      1. Carlie C's IGA at 607 E Cumberland St. in Dunn
      2. Carlie C's IGA located in Coats Village Square in Coats
      3. Cash-A-Check Plus at 802B W Broad St. in Dunn
      4. Community Mart at 304 W. Front St. in Lillington
    • Water & Sewer: Payments are accepted at the City of Dunn Public Utilities, located within the Finance Department at the Dunn Municipal Building at 401 E. Broad St. Office number is 230-3510.
    • Natural Gas: You may pay by mail or in person at one of the following Piedmont Natural Gas paystations:
      1. Cash-A-Check Plus at 802B W Broad St. in Dunn - (910) 891-2274
      2. Carlie C's IGA at 607 E Cumberland St. in Dunn - (910) 892-2346
      3. Carlie C's IGA at 1203 N. Ellis Ave. in Dunn - (910) 892-0250
    • Cable Television: You may pay by mail or in person at your cable service provider.
      1. Time-Warner Cablevision at 802A W. Broad St. in Dunn
      2. Charter Communications at 301 E Cornelius Harnett Blvd, Lillington
    • Telephone: You may pay by mail to P.O. Box 96028, Charlotte, NC 28296.
  • How do I sign up for garbage pick-up?

    The City of Dunn, through a private contractor, provides once a week residential curbside collection of roll-out containers.
  • Where can I register to vote?

    You may obtain a mail-in voter registration form locally from the Dunn Public Library, the Dunn Municipal building, City Administration Office at 401 E. Broad St., and the Employment Security Commission. Mail-in voter registration forms may also be obtained at other town halls and county libraries in Harnett County. Residents may also register at the Harnett County Board of Elections located at 19 E. Front St. in Lillington. For more information about voter registration, call (910) 893-7553.

    In order to vote in all City elections, you must reside within the City Limits of Dunn at least 30 days prior to any election.

  • How can I make my golf cart street legal?

    You can find more information on street legal golf carts by clicking the links below:



  • Where do I get a building permit?

    City residents may obtain building permits through the Building Inspector's Office located in the Department of Zoning and Inspections located at 102 N. Powell Avenue. You can reach them by phone at 910-230-3505.

  • How and where do I list my property taxes?

    All property except for licensed motor vehicles must be listed with the Harnett County Tax Office during January of each year. This property includes dogs, boats, houses, motor vehicles that are not licensed, airplanes, etc. Listing forms are not automatically mailed out for personal property unless you have listed with Harnett County the previous year. The Harnett County Tax Office is located in the Harnett County Courthouse at 305 W. Cornelius Harnett Blvd., Suite 101, in Lillington. The phone number is 910-893-7520.

  • What is the process for a temporary street closure for a special event?

    This request must be handled through the Special Events Permit Application Process or Neighborhood Event Application and must be submitted 60 days in advance of the date of the event.  Applications are available through Planning and Inspections - 910-230-3505.

  • Where is the Chamber of Commerce located?

    The Dunn Area Chamber of Commerce is located at 109 S Ellis Ave, Dunn. 

  • How do I contact the Better Business Bureau?

    The nearest Better Business Bureau is located in Raleigh.

    BBB of Eastern North Carolina, Inc.
    WWW: http://www.bbbenc.org
    Email: info@raleigh.bbb.org
    Phone: (919)277-4222
    Fax: (919)277-4221
    5540 Munford Road, Suite 130
    Raleigh, NC 27612 -2621

  • Where do I get a library card and what do I need?

    You can obtain a library card at the Dunn Library located at 110 E. Divine St. You will need to have a document with you that shows your current home address and your social security number. There is no fee to obtain a library card and it can be used at any library within Harnett County.


More About Dunn

Dunn was originally called "Lucknow" and was renamed in 1873

The city of Dunn was incorporated on February 12, 1887, at which time it was a logging town and a turpentine distilling center. The name honors Bennett Dunn, who supervised the construction of the railway line between Wilson and Fayetteville.

Learn More